Sunday, March 2, 2014

All Quiet on the Western Front Character Role

My name is Himmelstoss, I was an NCO, I've held authority. The war made me become something, something I wasn't, but deserved to be. As a post man I was ridiculed, ‘Himmelstoss you’re 5 minutes late… Himmelstoss this letter was supposed to come last week’ but now, I have power. I gained a sense of satisfaction out of training my men. For once I barked the orders instead of receiving them myself. I have to admit, acting as I did, did entertain me. My men hated me for my harsh conditions but it will help them realize what they will come to face. It is through my actions I hope they would respect me, I just wish I could have conditioned myself. I was scared to fight, I cowered in the trenches while we were at the line. It wasn't until the most horrifying fight that I realized where I went wrong. I tried to make amends for the treatment I gave my men. I made sure while back from the front that they were nourished and they could work with ease. I still wonder and hope that it wasn't too little too late.

I thought this was posted last week but it was never published.

No comments:

Post a Comment